According to digital documentation (read: photo album on my phone), Anxiety Baking started on March 30th. It was around this time that I began not really sleep and wake up around 4 am, no matter what time I went to bed. Saddled with copious amounts of pre-daylight time, a surplus of my boyfriend’s flavoured protein powder and not much by way of actual baking tools, these were my humble beginnings where I would potter between my kitchen and the wide web for recipe hacks. After a month of baking almost every single day, I’m not quite baking goddess but well on my way to baking MacGyver.
If you’ve been on the lifestyle end of the Internet in the last ten years, you’ve probably already come across this hack of baking a cake in a rice cooker. I’ve even done it a few times back in Sydney but always using a standard flour-based recipe, plus whatever flavourings I had on hand. This time I wanted to see if I could make one that was heavily reliant on protein powder so that one could argue that it’s basically all health and no fat boy/girl guilt. Below is the text from a recipe card I made for Instagram for a Matcha Protein Cake, but you can basically flavour it any which way depending on the flavour of your protein powder. Chocolate protein powder = Chocolate cake. Vanilla protein powder = Vanilla cake. Results and taste my vary if you’re using a different protein powder brand, I can only attest to MyProtein protein powders. Happy Anxiety Baking!
- Impact Whey Protein – Matcha Latte 37.5g
- Eggs 4
- High Protein Kinako Powder 20g
- Baking Powder 4g
- Tofu 400g
- Coconut Flour 20g
- Mix dry ingredients together in a bowl
- Break tofu into pieces and blend until smooth
- Add eggs to tofu and continue to blend
- Fold dry ingredients into the wet mixture
- Add batter to a pressure cooker or rice cooker
- Set function for 10-12 minutes if pressure cooker, or two rounds of cooking rice
- Check for doneness. Cake should be bouncy, firm and slightly moist in the middle. Repeat function for 3-5 more minutes if needed
Macros per slice: Calories 111, Fat 5.6, Carbs 3.7 Protein 11.7